Okay, so I’m a total SWIMFAN when it comes to Twilight. I love the books and the movies of course, but the soundtracks are on constant repeat in my house. With the release of each Twilight soundtrack, we are treated to a preview of the tone of the movie, and the Breaking Dawn soundtrack gives us an exciting glimpse at what we can expect.
Before New Moon came out, I listened to the soundtrack and my heart almost exploded when I heard “Possibility” by Lykke Li. I knew we would hear this tune when Bella was devastated. It was perfect. My favorite song on that soundtrack, though, is “All I Believe In,” by The Magic Numbers & Amadou & Mariam. It’s a Jacob love song, and I hoped to hear that song when he and Bella became friends. I got my wish. The New Moon soundtrack is diverse, and it’s mostly a blend between rock and roll and ethereal alternative. It gave us a preview of the tone of the movie, which was a blend between hard core heartbreak, building friendship, and unimaginable danger.
The Eclipse soundtrack is also a mix, blending upbeat rock music that works for the struggles in the movie and romantic tunes for more intimate scenes. One of my favorites on this album is “My Love” by Sia, which is perfect for the proposal scene. The best aspect of the music in Eclipse though, is how the musical director used the song “All Yours” by Metric as the instrumental score for the movie. It made the last scene in the meadow so poignant.
Now I’m listening to the Breaking Dawn Part I soundtrack and it’s beautiful, just like the movie will be. We know that we are going to see the wedding, the honeymoon, the pregnancy, and the birth. It’s going to be crazy, emotional, and beautiful, and the soundtrack sets the tone for that ride. There are few rock and roll songs on the soundtrack because there will be few rock and roll moments in the movie.
I always hope for some Muse, Paramore, and of course, R. Pattz!, but there’s always BD2. Still, the music on this soundtrack is by far my favorite of any of the movies.
So, here are my predictions for when we will hear the songs in the movie.
1. The Joy Formidable, "Endtapes" – This feels like a Jacob song. We’ll hear this song either when he runs away after getting the invitation, or when he’s about to kill Edward because Bella’s pregnant and dying.
2. Angus & Julia Stone, "Love Will Take You"- This could be honeymoon, but I’m thinking we’ll hear it when Bella’s dying from the pregnancy and Edward is worried.
3. Bruno Mars, "It Will Rain"- I don’t think this will be in the movie. I bet it’s the first song we hear when the credits roll.
4. Sleeping At Last, "Turning Page"- Yay! There’s an instrumental to this one, too, so I hope the music director uses this as the score throughout the movie. If they use this song like they used “All Yours” in Eclipse, it will be the last song we hear before the credits roll, but I bet we first hear this song on Isle Esme wedding, you know, “after.”
5. The Features, "From Now On"- Fun song. This could be the song they use on the boat on the way to Isle Esme.
6. Christina Perri, "A Thousand Years"- Bella walking down the aisle. OMG I’m crying already.
7. Theophilus London, "Neighbors"- No clue about this one. End credits maybe?
8. The Belle Brigade, "I Didn't Mean It"- This one feels Jacob-y, too. It’s either Jacob angry at Bella for keeping the baby or dealing with Sam’s pack.
9. Noisettes, "Sister Rosetta (2011 Version)" – This is a tough one. I’m thinking the Cullen’s protecting their land or something with the wolves.
10. Cider Sky, "Northern Lights" – Picture Bella wrapping herself in a towel and running out on the beach on Isle Esme. It works right?
11. Iron & Wine, "Flightless Bird, American Mouth (Wedding Version)" – Bella and Edward’s first dance at the wedding. I love that they reworked this song for this movie!
12. Imperial Mammoth, "Requiem On Water" – Maybe it’s the title, but this could be the swim on Isle Esme? I’m thinking it’s Bella sick when she’s sure she’s going to make it.
13. Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz, "Cold" – Birth scene. Creepy.
14. Mia Maestro, "Llovera" – This song is sung by the actress who plays Carmen, but I don’t think they’ll have this as part of the wedding. I’m thinking honeymoon because it’s in Spanish. Maybe when they’re swimming or dancing in Rio?15. Carter Burwell, "Love Death Birth" – OMG, again, I love that they bring back the score from the first movie. Yay! This will be used as a musical score throughout the movie, obviously. Wolves running, tender moments, etc.
16. Hard-Fi, “Like a Drug” – Poor Jacob. This will be him frustrated at Bella and not being able to stay away. Also, can I say I almost had a Footloose moment when I heard this song?!
17. Turning Page (Instrumental), Sleeping at Last – Like I said before, I hope this is the musical score throughout the movie.
18. Eclipse (All Yours), Kevin Teasley – I love that they are bringing back the score from Eclipse. I have no idea how this will be used, but I’m guessing some part of the wedding scene.
What do you think?
I can’t wait until November 8th when I can own all of these songs!